2016 feels like it passed in just a few seconds and yet it slowed down just enough to let me enjoy it.
But it went by so fast, I didn’t really get to do what I wanted to do- which is write.
That’s why next year I’m challenging myself to write more and read more in 2017. I don’t really know what that will look like yet, but I’ve still got a little time to figure it out.
So– I’m going to journal it out. I’m gonna spend some time thinking about next year and what I want from it.
Feel free to comment below about your new year dreams.
2017 Journal Prompt
What do you want to change in 2017? What do you want more of? What do you hope happens in 2017? What are your wishes and what are you going to do to get there and make it happen? What does the New Year have to hold?
October is perhaps my favorite time of year, and my favorite time to write. In Southern California it is just starting to get cool and some days it really feels like fall. This is my list of writing prompts for the month of October. If you have time I hope you follow along with me.
- Dream marriage
- Your life backwards
- Create a “perfect” you
- How can someone melt your heart
- What gives you strength?
- Five places you want to visit
- Scariest story
- The scent of your skin
- Fighting nature
- Who are you?
- Live out your fantasy
- Your perfect partner
- Next weekend’s plans
- Things I’d rather be doing
- Describe the scene outside your window
- The sound of a vinyl record
- Brain dump
- The masks that you wear
- What you did today (tell a story)
- How you empower others
- Your sexuality
- The feel of freshly washed sheets
- If you could relive one day…
- How you would take yourself out on a date
- Seven years from now…
- 10 guilty pleasures
- What does it mean to be beautiful
- How do you spend the morning?
- One life changing moment (and how it could’ve been different)
- The next book you want to read
- The person you most want to be
My summer is still in full swing. I don’t go back to grad school until the end of the month. That means that I can spend more time writing instead of just studying. This is my list of writing prompts for the month. If you have time, I hope that you can join me.
- I want to learn how to…
- The best things in life
- In your arms…
- Describe your bedroom (current or otherwise)
- Write down the first word that comes to mind for the next fifteen minutes
- 10 things you can’t live without
- Describe what loneliness feels like
- Write a letter to the moon
- What it means to be a writer
- The person who knows me best…
- The craziest dream (and why it isn’t that crazy)
- Your perfect vacation
- Hobbies that you want to pursue (and why you haven’t yet)
- 10 things that feel good
- What “I hate about you” list
- Describe the rain as it touches your skin
- Generate excitement
- Your life story
- Yourself at 102
- Fall back – what you’d go back in time to do
- What makes you feel alive
- Your favorite things about Fall
- How can you live more fully
- What fills you with joy
- What the new season holds for you
- What makes you feel fulfilled
- The sound of leaves crunching under your feet
- Document your day
- The biggest transformation in your life
- The meaning of time
What is your biggest regret? Go back in time and rewrite history. Rewrite that moment and create a short story that ends how you would have wanted it to. Write your own ending.
What are your results? Feel free to post in the comments.
For fifteen minutes, just write. Put your pen on a piece of paper and just write. Don’t think too much- there is no need for punctuation or correct spelling. Just write without stopping for the next fifteen minutes. Starting… now.
Write the story of the Christmas morning that would not end. And of course, take all the time in the world to write it.
Let’s start to look forward into the new year. In a few weeks it will be 2016 – what a crazy ride it will be. So today, lets journal about the upcoming year.
- What are five goals that you would like to accomplish next year?
- In what ways would you like to become a better writer in 2016?
- What books would you love to start reading in the new year?
- When it comes to writing, do you have any bad habits that are slowing you down ?
- Do you have a big dream for 2016 – what can you do to reach it?
- Brainstorm ideas to make your big dream happen.
- The best ways to make a happier you.
It’s a little crazy to think that Christmas is almost here and that 2015 is almost over. So I thought today would be a good time to start thinking about what 2015 has brought us. So today, lets journal about 2015.
- What did you love about 2015?
- What is your favorite thing to happen in 2015 and is there anything that you can do to bring that same energy into 2016?
- What is something that you learned about yourself this year?
- What is something that you would like to leave behind?
- What happened this year that you are really proud of?
- How did you grow in 2015? How would you like to continue growing in 2016?
Break the rules.
Try writing the last line of a poem first and work your way up to the beginning. Feel free to post your poem or leave a link in the comments.
Your story matters. Write it.