My summer is still in full swing. I don’t go back to grad school until the end of the month. That means that I can spend more time writing instead of just studying. This is my list of writing prompts for the month. If you have time, I hope that you can join me.
- I want to learn how to…
- The best things in life
- In your arms…
- Describe your bedroom (current or otherwise)
- Write down the first word that comes to mind for the next fifteen minutes
- 10 things you can’t live without
- Describe what loneliness feels like
- Write a letter to the moon
- What it means to be a writer
- The person who knows me best…
- The craziest dream (and why it isn’t that crazy)
- Your perfect vacation
- Hobbies that you want to pursue (and why you haven’t yet)
- 10 things that feel good
- What “I hate about you” list
- Describe the rain as it touches your skin
- Generate excitement
- Your life story
- Yourself at 102
- Fall back – what you’d go back in time to do
- What makes you feel alive
- Your favorite things about Fall
- How can you live more fully
- What fills you with joy
- What the new season holds for you
- What makes you feel fulfilled
- The sound of leaves crunching under your feet
- Document your day
- The biggest transformation in your life
- The meaning of time
feel the way
your muscles move.
make love with
and warm passionate lips.
my own eyes
and see pure love
know how being
Summer is in full swing and I am spending it writing. The following is my personal list of writing prompts for the month of August. Comment below if you want to follow along.
- Summer playlist
- A day in the life…
- Words that touch your soul
- The tastes of summer
- Something that you miss
- How does the weather fit your personality
- Good things that happened this summer
- Message in a bottle
- Freeze time
- Your mother’s hands
- How to get away with breaking the rules
- How do you challenge societal norms
- Typical day at work
- Something that makes you angry
- Binge worthy TV
- What do you struggle with most
- Your love life
- A song that brings back memories
- Your favorite memory of the summer
- How do you push boundaries?
- The last time you danced
- Your partner’s (or your) eyes
- What part of your life needs the most improvements?
- What makes you laugh?
- What makes you cry?
- Why do you get irritated?
- Your favorite sound
- Your favorite smell
- Fun things to do alone
- Family values
- Next month, what do you want to do?
Waking up next to you
changes my world.
It feels like I am ten years old
running up to the ice cream truck
to buy a rootbeer popsicle
on a hot July day
time floats by
like it does when you’re eleven
and it doesn’t matter how late you stay up
because all you have to do the next day
is play video games and
play cops and robbers
while your mom makes dinner.
I wake up next to you at 4am,
and feel your arm reach out to make sure I am OK
because I had a bad dream about a spider
and you want to make me feel safe.
It makes me crave you more
than I should.
I pull your arm to my breast
tugging you closer
until there is nothing between us
but fast beating hearts
An hour later, I wake up next to you
and it feels like
somewhere I never want to leave
like I am twelve and hiding in a fort
on new years eve
You move closer and
I roll back into you
as we loose another hour.
Its 9am, and I can feel you wake up next to me
and whisper good morning into my ear
an hour disappears as I curl into your body
and tell you how I plan to spend the day.
But when you leave
all I do is stay in bed
like I am sixteen again
and can’t think about anything else
but the cute boy in chemistry class
who said hello in the hallway before lunch.
I am somewhere in the middle of reading the book Wild by Cheryl Strayed. It’s really well written and there are times when I forget that it is really an autobiography. This book makes me want to be a better person and to join a book club so that I can talk about books outside of school.
July Writing Prompts- This summer, I want to write more. This is my list of writing prompts for the month of July. Comment if you want to join me in this summer of fun.
- Morning rituals
- 10 things you want to learn
- Current summer wish list
- What do you enjoy most about your city?
- What you most want to remember about today?
- Something that you love so much that you’d do it for free
- What can you do today to move you closer to your goals?
- What has been troubling you lately?
- What is stopping you from living a life that you would love?
- All “about me”
- Favorite quotes
- Describe your best friend
- Happiest moments
- Moments you wish you could relive
- What do you want to be remembered for?
- Are you creating a summer you will never forget?
- Best ways to unwind and relax
- Best thing that happened this month
- Worst habits
- Who makes you feel the most alive?
- How can you dream bigger?
- Where do you see yourself in six years?
- 10 rules to live by
- Favorite way to spend a Sunday afternoon
- What are you the best at?
- Describe your first love
- Current project
- List of ideas for your next essay
- Who makes you feel as if you can do anything?
- Favorite summer activity
- Favorite summer meal as a kid
I am officially done with my first year of grad school! It feels pretty great to say that. As crazy as this year has been, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I feel as if I have grown as a writer and have learned things about myself that I would have never known.
Here’s a few things that I have learned:
- I am actually a feminist (and it isn’t a bad word).
- I can write a 15 page paper in a weekend
- But I can also write one in 2 page increments
- Giant stacks of readings — no problem
- I have no idea how to fill my time if I am not doing homework
If you have ever considered going back to school, I would absolutely recommend it. It is one of the best things that I have done for myself.
Sometimes I feel overwhelmed
as if everything
depends on that
as if I have to
do more than I can
And I wonder-
is it humanly possible to
I am waiting to exhale
and start a new life.
But I am stuck-
waiting for you
to take a breath
so I can
breathe you out.
The summer solstice is June 20, but June 1 is the start of meteorological summer. The warm summer nights are just beginning, my favorite time to write in my journal.
June Journal Writing Prompts
- Make a summer of fun list
- How can you be more connected?
- What can you release?
- How do you find joy?
- Free your mind.
- How are you better this year?
- List all that you are grateful for.
- Travel wish list.
- I wonder…
- 10 things I love about you.
- How strong are you?
- How can you nurture your daydream?
- Look up and describe the sky.
- Say yes to life!
- What is your dream job?
- How have you been challenged this year?
- How does life keep you silent?
- Are you a feminist?
- What defines you?
- What vibe do you give out?
- What do you yearn for?
- Who controls your life?
- How can you make this summer better?
- Describe your favorite color?
- Check in with your goals.
- Describe the stars tonight.
- Write a poem to summer mornings.
- Where does the magic happen?
- What inspires you?
- Who are you today?